Google Ads (called Google AdWords until 24 July 2018) is a software that allows you to insert advertising spaces within Google search pages. These ads are displayed, up to four, above the unpaid search results, or below the search results and are selected by an algorithm that, among many variables, takes into account the keywords searched by the user. By doing so, advertisements relevant to the user’s purposes will be shown, thus also improving the investment by the companies that publish through this service.
Unlike advertising in the mass media, with Google you do not pay for the simple display of the advertisement by the user, but you only pay if the user takes an action or clicks on the ad to find out more.
Today it is no longer possible to do without online advertising. This is as true for large companies as it is for small and medium-sized companies. It is valid for those who have a virtual shop only, but also for those who have a physical store. It is true both for those who sell products and for those who sell services.
However, the same points of attention of traditional communication apply: 1) the promoted product / service must have its own market (i.e. a pool of customers interested and able to buy it) and 2) it is necessary to know well the characteristics of the medium to create effective advertising campaigns and avoid wasting money.
Google Ads offers various ways of advertising:
- Search ads. These are text ads that appear on the results page of a Google search if the user has typed a query corresponding to the keywords chosen by the advertiser for his advertising. A key feature of Search-type campaigns is that the keywords are triggered by the ad. So the ad will appear only and only if it is relevant to the search made by the user.
- Display ads. They consist of text ads, graphics (banners) or videos that Google displays within third-party websites connected to its network
- Shopping ads. Used in e-commerce, they consist of product images accompanied by brand, description and price. They usually appear at the top of the search engine results page.
Google Ads Search Ads appear at the top of the Search Engine Results Page (SERP), above organic ads. They are easily recognizable because in the snippet (result box) the link is preceded by the nomenclature “Ann.”. They can also appear at the bottom of the results page, above the related searches section.
Shopping ads, in addition to appearing in the appropriate “Google Shopping” tab, may be visible at the top of the SERP in a tab that appears only when there are certain queries.
Other placements are found within the Google audience network, that is, on partner websites, within spaces reserved for display ads. Positioning has recently been introduced within Gmail, where sponsored are located in the mail folder, in the form of an email, preceded by the word Ann. This is the type of Gmail ads.
Finally, there are the placements within the Youtube channel, for video ads, so today also on Smart TVs.
Using a Google account, you can access a control panel where you can create advertising campaigns aimed at certain user targets and marketing objectives, thanks to countless configurations. The ad system is based on pay per click (ppc) or the formula that requires a disbursement from those who publish ads, only if the ad is actually clicked by a user. It is also possible to create advertising campaigns based on cost per thousand (CPM) which allows you to determine a fixed cost per thousand views (regardless of the number of clicks) and in recent years a system has also been added that allows you to plan the cost based on set goals, called conversions, which may differ according to the type of site.
The advantages with Google ADS are innumerable:
- Budget flexibility and publication method: Each campaign created can be assigned a daily budget which can be changed at any time. This budget can be distributed over a period of time in 2 ways, namely: standard where the budget is distributed over time in a uniform way, accelerated instead the budget is spent in the shortest possible time consequently tends to run out faster. Once the maximum threshold is reached, Google Ads suspends the ad serving. This therefore allows you to have total control of the budget.
- Speed of campaign implementation: Campaigns are very simple and quick to create. It will be enough to assign a budget to the campaign, create ad groups where the keywords and their correspondences will be entered. Then the announcement is implemented, that is the creativity.
- Possibility of modification in real time: Changes are immediate. For this you can do tests, understand what happens in real time and make any changes for continuous optimization of campaigns.
- No minimum duration limit: There is no limit on the duration of a Google Ads Campaign. The only block to campaigns occurs when the established budget threshold is reached.
- You only pay for clicks: Thanks to the PPC (Pay per Click) system, you will only pay if a user actually clicks on the ad.
- Thanks to Google Ads Reports, campaign results can be measured and optimized. In fact, metrics can be checked in detail, so ROI (Return On Investment) can be measured. Google Ads can also be linked to Google Analytics for even more control over the campaign.
- Whenever the ad appears, even if not clicked, you receive free advertising through the impressions.
Reaching over 85% of Internet users in Italy. As Google is the most used search engine in Italy, it will be possible to reach almost all Italian internet users.
- Ability to plan campaigns locally. And therefore target ads only to users of a specific country, region, city.
Ads are viewed by qualified users. The publication of ads occurs when a user performs a search on Google. For this reason, the advertisement is offered to a user who has shown interest in their product / service. Hence the importance of consistency between the message sent in the advertisement and the query. It is certainly the most powerful inbound marketing tool.
To ensure maximum compliance with international laws and to safeguard the safety of users, each ad is checked according to the rules drawn up on content, privacy and other useful topics to promote a beneficial user experience.